While shopping for clothing, accessories or mobile gadgets you may have come across material called PU Leather or faux leather and asked yourself: “What is PU Leather?” Here you get the answer:
There is a difference between regular or genuine or real leather and PU leather. PU leather can be described as faux leather or synthetic leather. It sometimes consists of split leather combined with a layer of polyurethane, which is embossed onto the surface. It is also referred to as bicast leather but has some similarities to real or genuine leather. Genuine leather is durable, of superior quality and will mostly last a very long time. Synthetic leather on the other hand is man made and looks and feels a lot like original leather.
Products such as purses, handbags, clutches are designed to look like genuine products made of real leather. With the current economy, more and more fashion-focused people prefer trendy yet affordable products and will lean towards PU products.
Here is our rundown of PU Leather vs. Genuine Leather
- PU leather based products really look great, last long and need little care.
- PU products do not wear easily even though they do not last as long as genuine leather.
- Should PU leather products such as a purses or handbags get damaged, they can easily be repaired and more easily be replaced.
- While genuine leather is great, it is costly and needs regular maintenance.
- PU leather products are more affordable, and look just as great as other products.
Manufacturing Process of PU Leather : https://goo.gl/Z72QUN
Maintaining PU Leather:
- Dust polyurethane leather weekly with a microfiber cloth.A thick, woven microfiber cloth should attract dust and remove build up.
- Make a soap and warm water solution using a mild liquid detergent.Wipe the fabric gently with a non-abrasive sponge, until all the visible dirt is removed.
- Remove tough stains by spraying with an alcohol-based all-purpose cleaner, like Formula 409.It will have a better chance of removing stains other than food and dirt.
- Rinse the faux leather thoroughly using warm water and a clean, non-soapy sponge.Make sure to get in the crevices of furniture or embossed faux leather so that soap suds or dirt do not get lodged in small cracks or folds.
- Wipe the surface dry with a lint-free towel.
- Soak up stains immediately with a dry cloth.Polyurethane faux leather is water resistant, but it is also a breathable material. Stains can get stuck in the material's pores.
- Remove stains, such as ink, lacquer, pencil and crayon with rubbing alcohol, also known as isopropyl alcohol.Dampen a cloth with the alcohol and rub the stain. It may take a few minutes of rubbing to remove the stain.
- Use rubbing alcohol sparingly, especially on dark colors. Repeated cleaning with alcohol can permanently lighten the area.
- Take polyurethane leather clothing to the dry cleaner for serious stains.Dry cleaning detergents work well on this fabric because of its breathability.
- Remove smells from polyurethane leather by air drying.Most smells will dissipate with time. Wrap the leather in newspaper and let it sit for 2 to 3 days, if the smell persists.
- If the smell persists, mix a spray bottle with 2 parts warm water and 1 part distilled white vinegar. Spray an area of the leather and then wipe with a soft cloth to work it into the fabric. Allow it to air dry when you have sprayed and wiped all areas of the item.
While it is less durable than original leather, it is considerably cheaper and is used to produce great looking, affordable products such as wallets, purses, handbags, mobile accessories like power banks, mobile chargers, mobile cases Etc. are comparable to the real leather versions. For more fashion related PU leather mobile accessories’ and directories, check out our Fashion accessories